I'm back in the Burg! Actually, I have been for a little over a week, but you wouldn't believe how busy I've been...well, you probably would believe it, but let me tell you about it anyway!
I flew out of Des Moines the evening of 7 September. It was a little interesting getting through airport security because I was bringing my bassoon on the plane. I had forgotten about the needle nose pliers that were in my case, so the nice TSA man had to search through it and measure them to make sure they were within federal regulations. Thankfully, all was well, and I boarded the plan without incident. When I landed in Denver, I found the gate to my next flight and then went in search of some food. Pizza Hut hit the spot, but their bread sticks were muy disappointing because they were hard and crunchy instead of nice and soft. Oh well. I got into SLC around 11 and waited a long time for my luggage to come in. My roommate, Kelsee, picked me up, and we drove to her house. I spent the 8th with her family, and her siblings are a riot! We had a good time together.
And then we left really early on the 9th to head up to Rexburg. I spent the day shopping and unpacking. I'm living just off campus now, and it's not too shabby. My closet is kinda small, and our kitchen doesn't have a pantry, but we did what we could. My other roommate, Anna, came up on Saturday. Kelsee, Anna, and I were all disappointed to discover that our apartment doesn't even allow residents to keep fish because they have a lovely beta fish named Spud.
But my new apartment complex (Birch Plaza) has six girls per room, so I also have three new roommates. Breann Briggs is from Texas. She's a sweet girl and really nice. She was actually the first of my new roommates that I got in touch with over the break. Taylor Haacke is my roommate in the sense that we're sharing a room. She's a little wacky but very nice. She's from the Seattle, WA area. It's her first semester in Rexburg, but she's transferred an Associate's degree, so she's technically a junior. Janie Demotropolis is my last new roommate. She's a little quieter than the rest of us but still lots of fun. She also transferred an Associate's and is a junior. And an interesting little tidbit: she is literally a day younger than me. But that still makes me the oldest in my apartment for three semesters running! Score! :-)
I've already had a full week of classes. It's going to be a great semester. I'm really looking forward to it. I think by far my favorites are going to be zoology and D&C. I'm taking one final semester of chemistry, and it's already eating at my soul. If I can survive the next three months, I will be golden. I'm also playing bassoon again with a scholarship, and I am in a section of three bassoon players (including myself)! I was actually expecting to be the only one, so I was pleasantly surprised to learn that there were two new freshman girls playing with me. I am "in charge" since I'm the seasoned player, but I'm looking forward to playing with and getting to know those girls.
And of course I can't talk about my life at BYU-I without talking about dance! :-) No dance class this semester, but I will, of course, continue to go to my regular swing and ballroom nights. On top of those fun things, I'm on the committee for the ballroom workshop. We had our first one last week Thursday, and I couldn't believe the turn out. We had 112 people come! It was so awesome! And there were ~150 people who came to the Friday night ballroom. I don't expect the numbers to stay quite that high for the whole semester, but what a way to start! I'm really excited to do a lot more dancing this semester and get to know people. I will also be trying out for the swing team this Tuesday. It'll be fun if I do make it, but if I don't, it won't crush any hopes or dreams that I have. I'll just continue to do what I normally do.
Well, I think that's all I have for now. My goal is to update more this semester, so hopefully I'll be writing here again soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment