Sunday, February 5, 2012

Just Your Average Update

So I'm back. And things are going. I can't believe it's February already! January totally flew by. If this keeps up, I'll be back at school before I know it!

So I finally managed to get a job a couple weeks ago. I'm back at Palmer's Deli like I was last year, but I'm only working part time. It's not exactly what I wanted to do, but I'm just grateful to have a job. I may also be getting into doing jewelry with a woman in my ward.

My Spanish class is moving right along. I am learning some new things, which is good. I was a little afraid it would be a total review from my previous Spanish classes. I guess there's always new things to learn when you've been away from a language for two and a half years! My teacher is a pretty good guy. We have to attend three online conversations every week, and all three of mine are in the late morning/early afternoon, so my teacher is the one who "hosts" it. The evening ones are done by a lab assistant. Usually we just do vocab games and go over the grammar, but he's a lot of fun. I usually put in 2-3 hours of doing homework and studying a day.

So I had this little thing happen to me about a week and a half ago. My sister was browsing the web trying to get birthday gift ideas for her boyfriend, and I got hit with a virus. I wasn't super worried at first because I just figured 'oh, my dad can just fix it.' Turns out it wasn't that easy. My dad got rid of the virus, but it did some pretty weird things to my computer. At first, we thought I had lost all my documents, pictures- everything. When my dad got to playing around with it, though, there was data stored in the computer; we just couldn't see it. So I called up my friend, Melanie, because she married a computer nerd, and I was much more comfortable with him trying to fix my computer than calling the help desk. He connected to my computer through the internet and showed my dad how to unhide all the "missing" files. It was actually really cool to watch someone use my laptop remotely. We saved everything to a hard drive so my dad could rebuild it...or so we thought. We got all my documents, music, apps...but we somehow missed the pictures, which meant I was out almost two years worth of pictures- all three semesters of college, Melanie's wedding, my family vacation from the fall- everything. But I figured that at least I had a lot of them on Facebook, so I didn't completely lose them. I'm not going to download them back onto my laptop, though, because you have to do that for each individual picture you want, and I just don't have the patience for that. But I came out of the little incident mostly unscathed.

And speaking of Melanie and her husband, I got to thinking recently about how much my social circle has changed recently. I've had four friends leave on their missions and at least seven getting engaged and/or married within the last year. What the heck?! When did I get this old? Don't get me wrong; I'm happy for each and every one of them, but it's just a really weird realization for me. Thankfully, I still have lots of single friends who haven't abandoned me yet ;-)

Well, I guess that's enough of my random babbling for now.

Kristin Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment